Student Senate offers voter registration

Debby Hernandez, Administration Editor

Student Senate members will be registering students to vote from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday in front of the food court in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The voter registration drive will be co-sponsored with other student organizations including the EIU College Democrats, the African Student Association, and the NAACP.

Student Body President Reginald Thedford said being involved in local politics is important for students.

“At a local level, it is important for students in Coles County to be involved because we are part of a public institution,” Thedford said.

He also encourages students to be involved at the state level by participating in the midterm elections.

“Politics in Springfield affects students directly,” Thedford said. “Whoever is representing you affects you.”

Midterm elections will consist of local and state officials.

Registered voters will be able to vote for their state governor and U.S. senator.

Running for governor this year will be republican Bruce Rauner, democrat Pat Quinn, and libertarian Chad Grimm.

Candidates for senator representative for the state of Illinois include republican Jim Oberweis, democrat Dick Durbin and libertarian Sharon Hansen.

Other state representative positions will also be available to vote for including secretary of state, attorney general and treasurer.

At the local level, Coles County will be voting for their district representatives and court judges.

A new Coles County sheriff will also be voted on.

Candidates include republican James Rankin and democrat Gregory Voudrie for sheriff.

Voters will also decide on new legislation in the state for issues including raising minimum wage for adults over 18 years old, health insurance on prescription drugs including birth control, and school districts receiving additional revenue based on the number of students.

Students interested in registering to vote will need to bring their state ID card with them at the time of registration.

Debby Hernandez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].