Golf team takes fifth at Western Illinois Invitational

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

The Eastern women’s golf team finished in last place at the five-team Western Illinois Invitational over the weekend.

The two-day, 36-hole event was held at WIU’s home golf course, par-72, 6,208-yard Harry Mussatto Golf Course in Macomb, Ill.

The Panthers shot a team total of 670, finishing 17 strokes behind Illinois-Chicago. The Panthers were led by freshman Chloe Wong, who shot a team-best 161.

Wong shot a 6-over 78 in the first round, which was good enough to be in the top five of individual golfers. In round two, Wong dropped a few spots to tenth place after she shot an 11-onver 83.

Senior Tiffany Wolf also had a top 20 finish as she shot a 16-over 88 and then in the second round, shooting an 8-over 80.

Annie Getzin finished 24th for Eastern with a total of 173, with her best day coming on day two with shooting a 10-over 82.

Western Illinois took the team title, with a score of 621, finishing 32 strokes ahead of the Panthers.

The Leathernecks were led by Jessica Knepp and Anna Cullinan who finished in the top two for individualists.

Knepp shot a team-best 146 and placed first and Cullinan shot a 154 and finished second overall.

Knepp’s best round came in the second round when she shot a 1-under 71. Cullinan on the other hand was tied with Knepp after round one, but shot a 7-over 79 in the second round to fall eight shot short at winning the individual title.

Knepp was -1 on all the par fours combined over the weekend and finished with six birdies and 23 pars.

She also led the field with -2 on all of the par 5’s combined.

Western Illinois had four players finish in the top 12 golfers as Ashley Jeffers shot a consistent 158, with shooting a 79 for both rounds.

Also, Julie Whalen shot a 164 for the tournament with shooting 82 for both rounds.

Indiana State, who came in second place, finished 20 strokes behind Western Illinois with a score of 641.

Nebraska-Omaha came in third place followed by Illinois-Chicago.

Kathryn Kesti came in third place for individuals. Kesti shot a 155 (77-78), finishing one stroke ahead of her teammate Megan Vetrovsky, who came tied for fourth place for individuals with Indiana State’s Amanda Smith.

Eastern will next compete at the Southern Illinois Fall Invite at Hickory Ridge Golf Course in Carbondale on Saturday and Sunday.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].