Low enrollment causes decline in Greek participation

Chynna Miller| The Daily Eastern News Rush candidates walk through the Library Quad after recieving their bids for Fall Recruitment 2014 Sunday.

Samantha Middendorf, Entertainment Editor

Eastern’s dropping enrollment is expected to affect Greek enrollment for the year.

Greek life has experienced several issues because of the decline in enrollment.

Dean Harwood, director of fraternity and sorority programs, said in the fall of 2013, there were 1,557 fraternity and sorority members on campus.

“As of right now, we are projecting that we will have about 1,450 to 1,500 students as fraternity and sorority members this fall,” Harwood said.

The amount of women registered for fall 2014 recruitment is less than what it has been in the past.

“There is a slight decrease in the number of women registered for sorority recruitment this year, although the numbers are very close to those of the past two years,” Harwood said.

Eastern’s campus is comprised of nine sororities and 11 fraternities.

Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Phi, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Alpha Sigma Tau, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta, Sigma Kappa and Sigma Sigma Sigma are the nine sororities on campus.

Delta Chi, Delta Tau Delta, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Kappa Theta, Phi Rho Eta, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Sigma Pi make up the 11 fraternities on campus.

Pan-Hellenic sorority formal recruitment will come to an end Monday when women receive their bids to their new houses.

Fraternities are in the middle of recruitment activities.

Intrafraternity council recruitment will finish at the end of the month.

Samantha Middendorf can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]