Student senate to recruit new members

Debby Hernandez, Administration Editor

The student senate is looking for 15 senators to represent a variety of registered student organizations.

“We are looking for students that are ambitious and like to think outside the box,” Reginald Thedford, student body president, said.

As of the time of print, 20 students have already applied.

“We want to fill all 15 seats to make sure more students are representing different areas of the university,” Thedford said.

He said one of the biggest challenges past senators have faced is not being able to be fully involved in the senate.

“Most members we attract are involved in other activities,” he said. “We understand they are full time students, but we want to focus on retention.”

Each senator will serve as a liaison for two RSOs that will be assigned to them based on their strengths and interests.

Thedford said the goal is to get senators involved and committed to two organizations they are comfortable representing.

“We want RSOs to know that student government is out there and willing to help,” he said.

He said senators will also have to fulfill a diversity requirement.

As part of the student senate outreach project, senators will be encouraged to go beyond their comfort zone and reach out to RSOs they are not representing and might not be familiar with, Thedford said.

“A senator has to attend an event or meeting that is diverse to them and report on what they have learned,” Thedford said.

All applicants must also meet some formal requirements in order to be considered.

Student senators must have a minimum GPA of 2.5, be in good standing with the university, be able to complete a minimum of two office hours each week and attend all senate meetings, and must serve on one of the eight student senate committees.

Those who qualify will be contacted to set up an interview.

According to the student senate website, interview appointments will be conducted on a rolling basis.

Applications are available through the student senate website and will be due at 12 p.m. Wednesday.

Debby Hernandez can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].